Last week, I was so excited because I had this whole next week off work! Now this week, all I can keep saying to myself is, “Where did the days go?”. The week is half over and I haven’t got done nearly all the things that I wanted to. My to do list is still pretty long. I am slowly checking it off, but man oh man, life just seems to be crazy. Don’t get me wrong, I love it, but it is crazy!
I always thought that as my kids grew up and mostly went away, that I would find more time. No so! I am just finding that if I want more time, I have to take it late at night or in the wee hours of the morning, when everyone else is still sleeping. It would be nice if there were just a few more hours in the day! This book that I have gives some really great suggestions on how to find more time, and the things that we can free up to do this.
I know that many people wonder how I find the time to maintain blogs. Some people think that it is a waste of time. For me however, it is much more than a waste of time. I make the time to blog for a few reasons.
1. I really love writing and expressing my opinions. I guess in a way it is kind of like a journal for me. Not necessarily of what I do each day, but my thoughts, feelings, and so forth. It is kind of a way for me to release! Not only do I blog, but I have written four books, in the past year and am working on a few others that will be hopefully done by summer’s end.
2. I love to research new things and write about them, because that is the way I learn the best, and I love learning. It helps me to always keep my mind alert and going. I don’t want to ever let my mind die, and they say that if you read or write a lot, it helps to prevent Alzheimer problems as you get older. But mostly because I love learning and if I don’t know something, what better way to learn than to do a little research and either teach about it or write about it.
3. I make a little bit of money doing it, and hope to some day make enough money that writing can be my only source of income. It takes a whack of set up work, background work, and building up of your on line presence in order to create enough traffic flow to make any money by blogging. I have been working on setting this all up for quite some time now, and as I have been doing it, I have been researching the best ways, reading tons of books from the library, reading online, and checking out blogs and sites and so forth, that make money online. There are quite a few different ways to make money online by blogging, and since I love it, I figure I might as well make a little money doing it, if I can. It takes work, but I have never been afraid of work.
4. I am doing some freelance work online too, and by always writing and keep in the loop, I keep traffic flowing to my sites, and I keep aware of things happening out there in cyberspace. This always helps me when I am writing freelance articles. I am finding this to be pretty cool. I never have to leave my house to work again! Well, not quite yet, but that is my hope, to be able to be working just from home and my trusty little computer here.
5. Writing on my blogs offers me an escape, so to speak, from my own challenges and reality. Some days I just want to forget about my “to do” lists, forget about what is going on, and I find myself in a little corner chair just writing. It is helps to ease my troubled soul, on the days that it needs easing. I think we all have those days, and we all have our outlets.
6. I can write whatever I want, and
I just like this picture because I love lady bugs and I love reading.
it is okay. That is the cool thing about writing on blogs, they can be whatever you want them to be. I have seen blogs on pretty much every topic you can imagine. Some I don’t even want to know are out there, but I don’t look at those kinds. There are blogs about babies, family, music, art, feelings, anxiety, depression, religion, your life, journals, news, travel, blogging, writing books, raising animals, cooking and more cooking, preparedness, crafts, school, home school, and on and on. There is a never ending list of what people are blogging about. It is your baby – you can write and say whatever you want!
7. It is a free hobby / addiction. If you need a hobby but really can’t afford what you like, try blogging. I first started blogging with blogger.com and it is so easy to set up a blog. Within a few minutes you can be up and running and writing away. I still have my blogs with them up, but I have transferred to wordpress now, and my blogger blogs will eventually go away. Which do I like best? Blogger is easier and way more user friendly, if you are just starting out. And I actually think for basic blogging, blogger is easier to add extra things to your blog for free. WordPress has more blog templates to choose from, some are free, some are not, but they are all pretty limited as to what you can do unless you want to pay a little bit extra and host your own blog and buy a premium template that you can adjust more to make it what you want. So it really depends on how computer savvy you are and if you want to spend any money, or just want to do it free. If you want to have a cheap hobby, then go with blogger and set it up. If you want to earn a little money and make a business out of it, then perhaps wordpress is the way to go. Both are great options.
So there you have it in a nutshell, why I spend time every day writing. I love it! Yuppers, it takes up some of my time, but I find that if I don’t do things that I love to do, life would be way to stressful, and not fun. Blogging isn’t for everyone, but it is for me!